Review Sheet for 1950s/1960s Exam
1950s – The Age of Conformity?
Civil Rights – Jackie Robinson, Thurgood
3. Brown v. Board of Education
6. “The Happy Housewife”, Playboy magazine, television
7. Role of religion in the 1950s
8. McCarthyism and the Red Scare
9. Betty Friedan
1960s – The Age of Upheaval?
1. Lyndon Johnson and The Great Society – what it was and how it got it all passed
2. Other movements in the 60s – AIM, Cesar Chavez, women’s rights
3. Specific examples of what AIM did
5. SDS and its move to more radical groups – The Weathermen and Yippies
6. John F. Kennedy and his domestic policies
7. Critics of the Great Society
8. Immigration Act of 1965
Civil Rights –
10. Civil Rights laws – Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Voting Rights Act
11. SNCC – Ella Baker, Diane Nash, sit-ins
12. Malcolm X
13. War protests – why and who did it?
1. The 1950s is often dubbed the “Decade of Conformity”. Is this a fair statement? Back up your stance with specific fact.
2. The 1960s is often dubbed the “Decade of Upheaval”. Is this a fair statement? Back up your stance with specific fact.
*OVERALL – Be sure to know your “View from the Trenches” and “View from the Nation”